Regardless of trends, the real key to any successful renovation is a design that works for you-both functionally and aesthetically.
As home owners are increasingly deciding to stay in their homes, a bathroom renovation is very high on their “to do” list. In fact, master bath renovation is next right after kitchen renovation. Knowing that they can enjoy it “for now”, they also realize that a beautiful, highly functional bath will be very attractive to a potential buyer in the future.
If you are considering a bathroom renovation, these Top Ten Trends in Bathroom Remodeling might provide inspiration and insight.
1. The Super Shower – Whether “walk in” or “drive in” the new super shower now consumes a larger percentage of bathroom “real estate”, a significant increase over the past 10 years. Features include:
- His/ Hers shower heads
- Digital shower presets
- Dual entry
2. The Freestanding Soaking Tub – Overtaking its noisier counterpart (the sunken Jacuzzi) if space permits, the “retro” freestanding soaking tub has taken on new beauty of its own – especially if situated close to a window overlooking a garden – giving the true spa experience.
3. Natural Light – Bringing the “outdoors-in” is essential in most bath designs today. Large windows, skylights, wall outs, frosted glass entry doors and mirrors are just some of the ways to help light penetrate into your bath.
4. Heated Floors – While it might add slightly to the renovation costs, radiant heating installed under the floor tile alleviates the problem of cold floors. In addition, radiant heated floors can be one of the primary sources of warmth for the room which helps with overall energy efficiency.
5. Bathroom Technology
- TV integrated into bathroom mirror
- Musical toilet
- Digital Shower – preset to your specific preferences
- Self closing toilet lids
6. Elevated Vanities – Help prevent excessive bending by elevating vanities to kitchen counter height
7. Eco-Friendly Renovation – Effectively implemented, green renovation helps save water, energy and the environment. Hybrid (tankless) water heaters have consistent water pressure and have immediate hot water access.
8. Steam Shower – Incorporating a steam shower adds to the true home spa experience.
9. Universal Design/ Aging in Place – Why not plan for the future? Universal design makes your bath accessible to anyone, regardless of age, ability or disability, as well as the possibility of allowing you to “age in place”. Examples:
- Walk in or drive in showers
- Grab bars
10. The Bath – A Spa-like Retreat – As we look for a place to relax, unwind, escape the “new bath” is evolving into our own highly personalized oasis for budgets of all shapes and sizes.
By creating the proper balance of “the essentials” with “the handpicked indulgences”, you’ll have a reflection of your personal style and taste.
Photos of a custom vanity and spa bath in Chadds Ford, PA